The Horse Story...
Many people who live locally to Bristol and especially in the vicinity of Stoke Park tell a legend of how a lady once fell from a horse and died whilst riding within the grounds. Many people believe the Obilisk marks the spot where the horse stumbled. John Pimm explains why this legend is simply not true...
Stoke House was built in 1563 by Sir Richard Berkley of Stoke Gifford,
seat of John Berkley. Although the building is of a castle like appearance the
only military involvement it embraced was during August and September 1645 when
Thomas Fairfax used the building as his headquarters when he and Oliver Cromwell
along with others took Bristol back from the royalist The building was changed
in the seventeen hundreds by Norbourne Berkley who employed the services of
Thomas Wright the famous landscape gardener who planned the walks, buildings,
etc. A story long associated with the Dower House and Duchess Park is that of a
lady who fell from her horse and was ,killed. After more that twenty years of
research no record can be found to substantiate this. A possible origin of the
story goes back to a lady Elizabeth Somerset who was born
Copyright Glenside Hospital Museum, all rights reserved.
Last updated: 01/31/12.